Training Frequently Asked Questions.
- Who does the training? All training is done primarily by Karen Nelson. Some stages of training are best
done with assistance, in which case the owner may assist, or a qualified individual will be enlisted. Your
horse will only be ridden by Karen, unless you specify otherwise.
- If my horse is in training, can I come and visit him/her? In most cases you are fine to come out and brush
your horse and such during Hillside's hours of operation, however their are some cases when that may be
detrimental to the training of the horse. We also enjoy being able to arrange training times when you are
available to help out or watch so that you can be a part of your horse's education. If you are from out of
town, we can update you with photos and videos.
- How old do you take horses for training? We will not ride a horse that is under 34 months of age. With
our own horses we wait until 42 - 48 months of age to start them with a rider. Horses that are started at a
younger age tend to have issues down the road with soundness and/or resistance. We have started horses
as old as 12 under saddle.
A younger horse can enlist in Baby Training, and learn ground manners, lunging, carrying a light weight
saddle and so on.
- What do I have to provide for my horse? In the winter your horse may need winter blanket(s), other than
that you only need to provide tack if your horse is a special size, or requires something unique for training.
Owners wishing their horse to be ridden western may need to provide a western saddle. Horses will need
to be up to date on vaccinations, deworming and dental work prior to arrival. Coggins tests may be
required depending on your location.
- How often do you work with the horse? Most horses are worked 5 days a week, with training sessions
varying in length from half and hour, to an hour and a half as warranted.
- How do you bill for training? Training is to be prepaid for each month at the prearranged rate. Cash or
cheques made payable to Hillside Stable are acceptable If for some reason some training was missed
(such as due to an injury or such), you will be credited or refunded a suitable amount. Additional services
such a farrier work, clipping, and showing will be billed at the end of the month. All fees must be paid
prior to the horse leaving Hillside Stable.